Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's time for REFLECTION


*This picture was taken during one of my vacation trips on my Student Exchange Program (SEP) in New Zealand.


It has almost been a month; a month of hard work and perseverance which has been put into making a successful survey report. It started out when our "shifu", Mr. Brad Blackstone, made random selections among the students in Group 3 to form their respective groups for the survey project.


Honestly speaking, I had no preference on who to work with because I enrolled into this class by myself with the goal of becoming a better communicator. Furthermore, I wanted to make new friends and to learn to work with others more efficiently. Hence, it was finally decided that Jia Hao, Sharon and I would be working together on this project. I had known Sharon a week earlier than Jia Hao since Sharon was my blogging buddy.


The three of us hit it off pretty well from the start. We began to know each other better through class discussions and meetings outside of class. Even though, Sharon, Jia Hao and I are studying different majors, we managed to find common time to meet up and discuss details of the project. The journey we went through—from deciding on a topic, researching on the topic, designing and finalizing the questionnaires, compiling and interpreting the survey findings, and finally coming up with the complete survey report—was not easy.


It took our collective hard work, good job allocation and efficient time management to produce our near complete report draft for peer reviewing on Monday 6th October 2008. Presently, we have completed the survey report after editing 11 drafts. The remaining step now is the final scrutiny before the submission deadline on Monday 13th October 2008.


During this time, we had progressed from total strangers to good friends. I am glad that we are able to bond with each other without any interpersonal conflict. Furthermore, I have gained new exposure to the process of conducting a survey and writing a survey report. As a Chemistry student, previously I had only been exposed to writing laboratory reports.


All in all, it was an enriching journey. I have learnt new skills related to conducting research and improving my communication skills. Most importantly, I have gained new friends from this project and from Group 3. Cheers.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks Danny! My sentiments too. I feel satisfied with the way our project has proceeded. On Monday we'll finally submit our project report. Then... the oral presentation will be coming next... time is passing very quickly...

Brad Blackstone said...

Excellent reflection, Danny! You and your teammates really rocked on this effort. I could sense that you all were jelling well every time I spoke with you, and now the effort is really bearing fruit, not just in paperwork, but in people power. Thanks, man!

Danny Wong said...

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the compliment. I have really learnt a lot from this module and particularly from the process of producing this survey report. It is all gain and no loss for me.

Cheers.

Danny Wong said...

Hey Sharon,

It was really good working with you and Jia Hao. I have improved on my overall communication skill from this module and the survey report.

We will have the oral presentation coming up as well. Good luck to all of us and hope we can rock the class and hopefully impress Brad too.

Good day.

:: Jiahao :: said...

Hello Danny, thanks for the compliments and hard work we have put into this survey report. From the brainstorming to the churning of the final draft 13, all of us have placed immensed efforts from the beginning till the end. I believe that we can preservere on for the final presentation. Great Job!

Danny Wong said...

Hey Jia Hao,

We will do great for the oral presentation.

Anyway, you spell persevere as "preservere". If you do get to see this reply, do edit it before Brad sees it. =)

Cheers,
Danny.

YILIN said...

Hi Danny

I like your reinteration of why you had no preference of who to work with! You mentioned that you joined this course to become a more efficient communicator. It is definitely important that this communicator communicates well irregardless of the environment/surrounding persons.