Friday, November 7, 2008

ES2007S Group 3 Rocks!!!

Image from: http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/karsmi123/yr/yr001.jpg


Can anyone believe that 12 weeks of a semester have just whizzed pass all of us once again? It is hard to believe, but the reality is, it just did! Time really flies. But, one important question remain unanswered-Have I gain anything after 12 weeks of this intensive communication module?


Looking back at my first blog posting, I have identified my two main flaws in my communication skills: oral and written communication. Up till this moment, I have yet to face my greatest fear of presenting in front of an audience. Having said that, this does not mean that I have gained nothing at all in terms of improving my oral communication skills. Instead, I have polished my oral communication skills through interactions with my project mates, participating in mock job interviews and weekly class discussions. After witnessing three awesome performances by Travis's, Alvin's and Thomas's groups, the pressure is on Jia Hao, Sharon and myself to give our best shot in our oral presentation this coming Monday.


What about the progress of my written communication skills? The major assessments of this module such as the survey report, resume, job application letter and blogging have given me ample opportunity to improve on my written communication skills. I have learned the do's and don'ts of writing a good survey report, and I have put all the skills I have learned in this course into my term project for a sociology module this semester. Besides, I have learnt the important aspects of constructing an impressive resume and job application letter and this will certainly aid me in my future job application.


Besides improving on my oral and written communication skills, I have gained an in-depth appreciation of the importance of non-verbal communication and the netiquette in composing emails. On the whole, this course have made me a better communicator. I believe that this module has ignited my interest to challenge and break myself free from the fears of public speaking. I will continue to improve myself through other channels of communication such as the NUS Toastmaster Club.


Before signing off for the last time, I would like to extend my gratitude to Sharon and Jia Hao for giving their best, and bringing out the best in me during the process of brainstorming, planning, organizing and writing the survey report. I believe that we will do well in the upcoming oral presentation. Thanks also to Yilin, Bao Qing, Seaming and Sharon for giving constructive feedback on my blogs and not forgetting the remaining members of Group 3!


Last but not least, I would like to extend many thanks to our beloved sinseh, Mr. Blackstone for offering his valuable advices and feedbacks on my work and personal problems. You rock, Brad!!!


All the best to each and everyone of you. It has been a pleasure knowing all of you.


DanTheMan...signing off...

8 comments:

tom said...

Yeah! we rock! totally enjoyed the company of our group. Hope we can foster this friendship even after this course! All the best for your presentation on monday!

Sharon said...

Yup. It has been a great experience. Quite sad that we're ending this module soon. Even sadder is the thought of the exams coming in a two weeks' time. But never mind that for now, let's deal with our OP first!

Huiling said...

Hey Danny, first thing first, the picture is really cute! They remind me of the chipmunks. Ha. I seriously think our class rocks too, but I'm sad and happy at the same time that the semester is coming to an end soon. I'm glad that you've learnt quite alot of communication skills which I'm quite sure all of us did. Last but not least, good luck for your oral presentation on monday and I'm definitely looking forward to it! =)

:: Jiahao :: said...

Hey Danny,

Thank you for your help and support during this course 12 weeks. Really learnt alot from you and sharon during the survey report and presentation. I'm sure I have improved and gain a greater perspective in communciation sciences from both of your. Take care and the best for your future career!

Danny Wong said...

Hey guys,

Thanks you for all your comments in this blog and my previous blogs.

I really appreciate all the comments that you have all made.

I am sure all of us will have fond memories about this course, and Brad of course.

Cheers,
Danny.

Tan Zhenyun said...

Hi Danny..

I think you did great on that day of presentation. Perhaps, you have overcome your fear without knowing it. =)

Glad that we have the chance to be paired together for some discussions. Nice knowing you as a friend!!

See you around in campus!!

YILIN said...

Glad that you, too, found this course enriching! Apart from that, I think it's worth mentioning that you contributed much to our regular classes, not only were you active but you lead our discussions to many other topics under the sun, interesting or new, to me at least.

Brad Blackstone said...

Dan the Man,

Great final post!

This is a very comprehensive review of how you progressed through the term. You put a lot into the course, and so you got a lot out of it. Your positive interaction with classmates (and with me!), your provocative questions and insightful comments, and your good cheer have all made for a fine presence, both "live" and in cyberspace.

You were also first runner-up (if there is such a thing!) to our group's "champion blogger," Sharon, not just because of the number of comments you made on others' posts but thanks to the high quality of each of your entry's. I have enjoyed reading your writing and I really appreciate all that you have contributed! (So yes, by all means, do join Sharon for the lunch!)

All the best, too, in your future endeavors. With such an optimistic and willing-to-engage attitude, you'll be able to make a lot out of the opportunities that present themselves on the path of life!